Sydney and 365 days later

cr: personal documents


Like most of Instagram users, well at least whom I followed, I like to see back on my past. Using the not-so-recent IG feature, archive and repost it to our stories. And by this weekend, I really enjoy myself doing some throwback to my last year photos and videos. It was 20th something on August 2018, I was strolling around in Sydney city, which was also decided not more than 2 months before. It wasn't until mid July 2018 I took the chance to have a short escape to Melbourne and Sydney, well inspired by my ceuceu kafer (the one accompanied me in this trip, or I accompanied her?? 😂).

I didn't have any plan for August public holiday back then. And yeah, I did some short digging on these cities, honestly Sydney was never on my top list (not before Japan and UK though 😀) but Melbourne is. I heard a lot about Melbourne when I was still in school. Some other time my dad had business trips there (did I already mention that my father's one of many people who inspired me to travel abroad??). So I recklessly registered the visa, Alhamdulillah it was online and not so difficult to prepare the documents. And by the time the visa was out in only 5 days before my departure, I was not really having the fix itinerary. I mean, I prepared some places for the visa, but I didn't really look for the price et cetera. If you know me well, maybe you would say "Nah I don't believe you". But the truth is, in Aussie trip, mostly we browsed the itinerary during the trip lol.

Since we are focusing more on Sydney in this page, I can say that what I had in my head for Sydney goal is the ultimate Sydney Opera House and ofcourse Kangaroo and Koalas (do I already sound so tourist??). I read some about Blue Mountains and how the hiking is good and beautiful. But sadly we did not have enough time to spend a full day going there. Maybe on the next occasion? In more warmer temperature? Amen. Anyway it was winter and I never tasted one. But I'd say, Sydney is way more warmer than Melbourne. But definitely more windy! It was only at noon, around lunch time I could take off my jacket.

Crossing my goal in Sydney to visit the famous Opera House, I came by at the first night I was in the city. It was magnificent and beautiful with the dazzled lights. We only saw it from a far, from The Rocks. And the next day, we took a look closer and well it's huge. At first, I won't lie that this building reminded me of our Keong Mas in TMII (you should know this if you're Indonesian), although I was fully aware that this architecture is actually a set of sails, like a tribute to the Sydney Harbour next to this place. It was so white that we found it challenging to take a picture since the sky is so pale and no sun shone bright that day haha. Thank God I wore my red coat so I could at least not looking so pale too in the photos 😁. We spent like a whole noon in this Circular Quay area. I am not gonna lie, I found the place quite calming although so many people coming over. And the birds. The seagulls. I've never seen so many seagulls like that before. And they were so free. We might spend a lot more hours, just enjoying the scenery or seeing around if we could.

Coming here, after visiting Melbourne, it felt odd. In a good way. For me, Melbourne is more like classic, compared to this hustle city. And just like big cities around the world, it was so easy to get lost in Sydney. Sometimes I feel that I'm really good at reading maps. But other times, I find myself suck at this basic travelling kit. Especially when it comes to transportation trails. There was one time, when I decided to go to one place by myself. It was The University of Sydney. I heard that this old campus has an open field, the Great Hall just like the one in Hogwarts. How can I not go there?? It was before the sunset, and turned out this campus is like so big and has so many building areas lol. But the Great Hall is iconic and it was on the Google map!

Finding a mosque or praying area is always been a challenge if you're going to not-Muslim majority country. I had it also in Sydney. I remembered google around to look for a mosque near-by. It required me to take a walk around 1 kilometer in some housing area. In that moment, I miss being in Indonesia, where I can find mosques easily even in the gas station 😊. Turned out it was a Turkish mosque and I met some jamaah there. It still amazed me how prayer in a foreign country keep you feeling safe.

There are lot of stories I can tell more. But I think one page wouldn't be enough. Nonetheless, every time I'm going out, like abroad or inside country, there are always notes I need to remember. Some mistakes I need to learn not to do it again. When they said it is the experience who will teach you best, I know this now. You will keep wondering if you're not seeing yourself. Those trips you need to take, they should be started with I wonder....

Comments

Popular Posts